Meeting time: February 2 at 8am PDT / 11am EDT / 4pm BST
5 min - Welcome & Intros
5 min - Speaker: Casey Cronin
10 min - RINGO Recap
25 mins - Presentations
35 min - Plenary: Informal Independent Global Stocktake Activity
10 min - Announcements/Closing Remarks
Welcome & Introductions: Angel Hsu (10 mins)
o Encourage everyone to share their articles, etc on the wiki in the Library under General resources
o Invite to Thursday meeting for Informal Independent Global Stocktake for Feb. 22 submission
Speaker: Casey Cronin to present: Angel Hsu Intro (5 mins)
o Update on IGST and Climate works
o Gather more input from what comes from the iGST community.
· Timelines and benchmarks
· First submission is February 22
· We are structuring the iGST submission loosely around: Process recommendations Insights regarding guiding questions from the Non-paper Data and analytic contributions
· Is this focused on just national party actors or are non-party actors as well?
· We are thinking about "non-party actors" but mostly in national contexts. That is, submissions from NGOs, think tanks, civil society, etc. but not meaning subnational/corporate/international cooperative initiatives
· So I think this community has a very important role for submission about sub-national, corporate, international cooperative initiatives, etc.
o Helpful links for the GST:
· NON-PAPER BY THE CHAIRS OF THE SBSTA AND SBI (Updated - September): https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/REV_Non-paper_on_Preparing_for_GST1_forSBs_15Sept.pdf
· GST Overview page: https://unfccc.int/topics/global-stocktake Others Submitting submission for IGST Andrew Clapper Ian Tout WRI
RINGO Recap: Angel Hsu (10 mins)
o RINGO (Research and Independent NGOs Steering Committee):
· RINGOs has nominated 5 representatives, including DDL to participate in a consultative roundtable to the UNFCCC on the GST
· Mention that the Article text is very generic right now and that RINGO needs to provide more specific inputs on the transparency (Art13) and the GST process itself (Art4)
· We can use the UN SG Memo for inputs
· To derive key messages to share during the RINGO call
· We ask for any inputs on the from our community as to what points we should make at this opportunity
· Highlight how this could benefit CAD 2.0 and direct participants to Miro board with RINGO information encourage participants to add input, comments, suggestions
CAD 2.0 community that could contribute to independent stocktake report (3-5 mins each)
o Mark Powell/Climate Trace
· Developing pilot projects focusing on meta data
o Takeshi Kuramochi/New Climate Institute Global aggregation of non state climate action
· Focus actors
· Three annual chapters
· 2022 edition
o 2022 edition: revisit most policy relevant ‘progress indicators
o Andrew Clapper/CDP
· BAU CDP work
o Camda related work
o Challenges / Areas for development
Angel Hsu/DDL - Machine Learning actors
o Harmonizing different actors and databases to make it coherent and pulling policy actors and validating data, then use models to look at state actors and non state actors data
o Impact of actors if they are able to meet their commitments: what is actually being delivered?
o Web Scraping and Data Collection
Martin: Start thinking about digital product for next workgroup session (frame and raise it as an issue)
o Open Climate Data
· Integrated framework
· Presentation of demo for prototype
· Earth layers: what is the data saying?
· State/non state actors: what data is being used/entered?
· Corporations: who is using the system and collecting data
o Data infrastructure
o Digital harmonization
o Frontiers Paper explaining OpenClimate accounting system https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbloc.2021.789953/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Blockchain&id=789953
Plenary: Technical Dialogue to the Global Stocktake Activity: Angel Hsu (35 mins)
o Recap: RINGO comprehensive analysis on the miro to have background/context for the upcoming submission
· February 22nd submission for 2-3 page report/outline
· Outline: who are we and what are we doing?
· Problem statements
· Existing formation sources
o Exercise: Miro board to develop inputs for the Technical Dialogue for the February submission
· Mapping across various (non-state) actor levels to derive inputs
· Key organizations - who’s working on what?
· 'Problem statements'
· ‘Key resources to consider (e.g. data & reports)
· 'Key synthesis points' we want to emphasize.
=> Technical Dialogue Outputs Ask people to contribute to the google doc - people to provide inputs by COB Friday, Feb. 11.