2022| Feb 2 - RINGO GST Inputs
Meeting time: February 2 at 8am PDT / 11am EDT / 4pm BST
5 min - Welcome & Intros
5 min - Speaker: Casey Cronin
10 min - RINGO Recap
25 mins - Presentations
35 min - Plenary: Informal Independent Global Stocktake Activity
10 min - Announcements/Closing Remarks
Welcome & Introductions: Angel Hsu (10 mins)
o Encourage everyone to share their articles, etc on the wiki in the Library under General resources
o Invite to Thursday meeting for Informal Independent Global Stocktake for Feb. 22 submission
Speaker: Casey Cronin to present: Angel Hsu Intro (5 mins)
o Update on IGST and Climate works
o Gather more input from what comes from the iGST community.
· Timelines and benchmarks
· First submission is February 22
· We are structuring the iGST submission loosely around: Process recommendations Insights regarding guiding questions from the Non-paper Data and analytic contributions
· Is this focused on just national party actors or are non-party actors as well?
· We are thinking about "non-party actors" but mostly in national contexts. That is, submissions from NGOs, think tanks, civil society, etc. but not meaning subnational/corporate/international cooperative initiatives
· So I think this community has a very important role for submission about sub-national, corporate, international cooperative initiatives, etc.
o Helpful links for the GST:
· NON-PAPER BY THE CHAIRS OF THE SBSTA AND SBI (Updated - September): https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/REV_Non-paper_on_Preparing_for_GST1_forSBs_15Sept.pdf
· GST Overview page: https://unfccc.int/topics/global-stocktake Others Submitting submission for IGST Andrew Clapper Ian Tout WRI
RINGO Recap: Angel Hsu (10 mins)
o RINGO (Research and Independent NGOs Steering Committee):
· RINGOs has nominated 5 representatives, including DDL to participate in a consultative roundtable to the UNFCCC on the GST
· Mention that the Article text is very generic right now and that RINGO needs to provide more specific inputs on the transparency (Art13) and the GST process itself (Art4)
· We can use the UN SG Memo for inputs
· To derive key messages to share during the RINGO call
· We ask for any inputs on the from our community as to what points we should make at this opportunity
· Highlight how this could benefit CAD 2.0 and direct participants to Miro board with RINGO information encourage participants to add input, comments, suggestions
Presentations: Angel Hsu (25 mins)
CAD 2.0 community that could contribute to independent stocktake report (3-5 mins each)
o Mark Powell/Climate Trace
· Developing pilot projects focusing on meta data
o Takeshi Kuramochi/New Climate Institute Global aggregation of non state climate action
· Focus actors
· Three annual chapters
· 2022 edition
o 2022 edition: revisit most policy relevant ‘progress indicators
o Andrew Clapper/CDP
· BAU CDP work
o Camda related work
o Challenges / Areas for development
Angel Hsu/DDL - Machine Learning actors
o Harmonizing different actors and databases to make it coherent and pulling policy actors and validating data, then use models to look at state actors and non state actors data
o Impact of actors if they are able to meet their commitments: what is actually being delivered?
o Web Scraping and Data Collection
Martin: Start thinking about digital product for next workgroup session (frame and raise it as an issue)
o Open Climate Data
· Integrated framework
· Presentation of demo for prototype
· Earth layers: what is the data saying?
· State/non state actors: what data is being used/entered?
· Corporations: who is using the system and collecting data
o Data infrastructure
o Digital harmonization
o Frontiers Paper explaining OpenClimate accounting system https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbloc.2021.789953/full?&utm_source=Email_to_authors_&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=T1_11.5e1_author&utm_campaign=Email_publication&field=&journalName=Frontiers_in_Blockchain&id=789953
Plenary: Technical Dialogue to the Global Stocktake Activity: Angel Hsu (35 mins)
o Recap: RINGO comprehensive analysis on the miro to have background/context for the upcoming submission
· February 22nd submission for 2-3 page report/outline
· Outline: who are we and what are we doing?
· Problem statements
· Existing formation sources
o Exercise: Miro board to develop inputs for the Technical Dialogue for the February submission
· Mapping across various (non-state) actor levels to derive inputs
· Key organizations - who’s working on what?
· 'Problem statements'
· ‘Key resources to consider (e.g. data & reports)
· 'Key synthesis points' we want to emphasize.
=> Technical Dialogue Outputs Ask people to contribute to the google doc - people to provide inputs by COB Friday, Feb. 11.
· Information dump/contributions
· Submit by Feb. 22
Announcements/ Closing remarks: Angel Hsu (5 mins)
o Welcome Louisa! The new CAD2.0 Climate Data Community Manager
o Camda stakeholder call on Feb. 15th: check out the newsletter to get on the mailing list
o Encourage everyone to share on social media for declaration
o Reach out to Melissa Hauser if you want to join the Thursday planning meeting: no meeting this week
The final version of the Technical Dialogue inputs from the CAD2.0 community:
CAD2.0 Technical Dialogue Inputs.pdf